[Aavso-photometry] Notes on N Aql05/V1663 Aql, Var Nor 05 and SDSS013132

Aaron Price aprice at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 16:09:40 EDT 2005

Here are some quick follow up notes to a few of the items in last
week's Alert Notice #318.

SDSS013132
We have no reported observations of this field. Please observe this
field down to 15th magnitude and report your observations ASAP.
Also, upload your FITS images to our FTP site (or e-mail
them as an attachment to aaronp at aavso.org). We need observations
through 21UT June 17. Charts are here:
http://www.aavso.org/cgi-bin/searchcharts3.pl?name=SDSS013132

V1663 AQL (a.k.a N AQL 05)
Visual coverage of this object is excellent. But more CCD coverage in V
and B is needed. IAUC X reports that this could be a symbiotic nova
(sometimes referred to by IAUC as "peculiar" novae. ). Symbiotic novae
are rare. They usually decay much slower than classical novae so
provide an easier laboratory for studies of hydrogen fusion on the
surface of a white dwarf. That fusion also illuminates the secondary,
which is usually a K or M red giant, allowing greater insight into its
tenuous outer atmosphere.

Observe in B and V at least once per night until you notice some
type of activity, such as a rapid decline. Then increase the observations
to a few times per night. Aim for 0.01 magnitude precision. Finalized
AAVSO charts have been posted online, including a reversed D-scale
chart. Latest data has it at around visual mag 11.5-11.8.

Var Nor 05
This new CV has apparent superhumps as detected by Berto Monard (MLF)
and Peter Nelson (NLX). Berto reports superhumps of 0.075d (+/- 0.01). It
seems to be a UG system right now, but it remains to be seen as to the
subtype.
A short orbital period, long outburst interval and large amplitude favor a
UGWZ system, which many
of these ASAS discoveries end up being. However, much can still happen with
these systems that typically decline slowly. We recommend at the very least
monitoring it every night in V and time series observations (in V or
unfiltered)
for long periods when it is possible. Latest data has it around V=13.1.

--
Aaron