[AAVSO-DIS] A Visit By Murphy...

Richard 'Doc' Kinne rkinne at aavso.org
Sat Jul 24 18:15:22 EDT 2010

Hello Everyone!

Between about 4:00PM and 6:00PM EDT this afternoon the AAVSO went
offline. This had nothing to do with our new website, which, by and
large is going well. It was a hardware failure.

The power supply to the switch that links all of the computers
together and then to the outside world failed. With Arne's expert
assistance being my eyes and ears in the machine room we diagnosed the
dead switch. Arne then diagnosed it was the power supply and then,
amazingly as far as I'm concerned, found an compatible power supply at
HQ. We plugged it in, reconnected various things logically and were
back up and running.

Again, many thanks to Arne for being a remote set of eyes & hands.
Thanks also to Aaron for, literally, drive-by assistance as well.

With some small glitches which are almost inevitable when something as
complex as our website is redone and put out via a new software
platform, the new Drupal AAVSO Web Site Rollout is going well. Many
thanks to all of you who have taken the time to write and email in and
let us know of things that just didn't seem quite right. The rollout
team is continuing to work on this bug list through the weekend. Our
members are part of the AAVSO team and family, and that is one of the
neatest things about the AAVSO, as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks to everyone!
-----
Doc Kinne, [KQR]
(From the Gmail Web Interface)